READ ME!! Directions and Requirements

Go down

READ ME!! Directions and Requirements

Post  Admin on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:23 pm

Well now that you have seen the Helvetica Film lets have a discussion about it. Create a Topic that answers the following questions. You topic should be between 5-7 sentences and answer all of the following quetions:

Are fonts or is typeface art?

What is the perpose of fonts?

Should fonts be expressive or should they be plain and let the meaning of the words be expressive?

Does where you grow up effect how you view art?

Describe one poster or ad that you have seen within the past week. Was it easy to read or difficult to read? Did it convay the artists message properly? Why or why not?

Once you have finished creating your post, respond to two other posts created by your peers in this forum. You post should discuss if you agree or disagree with their views and why you agree or disagree. (3-5 sentences)

Let Mr. R know if you have any questions.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://mainewest.usersboard.net

Back to top Go down

Fonts Responce

Post  sgutierrez369 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:24 am

i think that fonts and type face are art because some people who work in the type of field use their creativity to make fonts. It depends how you see it to decied weather it's font or not.
there are many typess of fonts and not many are the same and it takes time to make the fonts so i think it is art because art takes a while to cmplete.

the porpose of fonts are to express the way you type and to make it seem more creative and it's like a mood while you type. for example a bold type of font could mean that you want to make a stament. another thing could be is if your writting a important letter and choose to write in a font that looks fancy or is in cursive then it seems more important and elegent. bubble lettes could be a letter to a friend or used to write an invitaiton to a birthday party.

fonts should be expressive because it shows your mood and you choose a type of font for a reason so if fonts wouldnt be for expression everyone would use one font all the time.

i think where you grow up plays a good role on the way you view art. if you live in a place where you dont really see art or anything to deal with that then somonething that mught be art you wouldnt be able to know what it means and not think its art. if you live in a place that many people do art you will grow up with a idea of whats art or what isnt. also where you first grow up and your heritage has to deal with the way you see it.

in the past week ive seen signs that are bold which i think their messege sis that its important and its bold because its trying to grab your attention. if it were something squiggly then you could barly read it and not give attention to it

Last edited by sgutierrez369 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

sgutierrez369

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fonts

Post  elodewyck972 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:24 am

I think that typefaces can definitely be used for artistic reasons. However, I do not feel that that should be be the main purpose of them. I feel that the main purpose of fonts is to get a message across to the reader, not to show off artistic abilities. They should be legible and to the point. The letters/symbols should be expressed in themselves, not in the style that they are portrayed. They should be made to get a point across. In terms of our backgrounds, I think that your surroundings might have an effect on how a person manages their typeface. You might get a different view of what art looks like. An ad that I have seen in the past week would be one advertising "Red Robin." I was very impressed with how clear it was to read and how simple it was to understand. The point of the ad was to advertise hamburgers and I feel that the the person/people who made the ad did a very good job of getting their point across. It was also very easy to read because of the TYPEFACE that it was using. It was very clear and legible.

Last edited by elodewyck972 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

elodewyck972

View user profile

Back to top Go down

expressive fonts

Post  tmurphy494 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:39 am

Ithink that fonts should be expressive and show meaning to wich the product you are selling. The reason i say this is because it gets more attention and would sell more. Ad the more you sell the more $$$. If all fonts are expressive and different, the more choices the producer will have to full express the products meaning. So yeah... expressive fonts also give a more creative and fun time thinking of each letter. Making each letter more special and unique will have a better take on a person. the more creative the less of a drag itll be to creat the font,

tmurphy494

View user profile

Back to top Go down

expressive fonts

Post  tmurphy494 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:41 am

I think that fonts should be expressive and show meaning to wich the product you are selling. The reason i say this is because it gets more attention and would sell more. And the more you sell the more $$$. If all fonts are expressive and different, the more choices the producer will have to full express the products meaning. So yeah... expressive fonts also give a more creative and fun time thinking of each letter. Making each letter more special and unique will have a better take on a person. the more creative the less of a drag itll be to creat the font,

tmurphy494

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: READ ME!! Directions and Requirements

Post  ppatel713 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:35 pm

Fonts should be there to help convey the message. If the content of the words is to be bold then the font should be bold. If the content of the words is something about love then it should be a flowy font. The font should be readable, and no too crazy. Font itself isn't an art, it just helps the words to have a stronger impact.

Where you grow up does effect how you view art because most artists design based on personal experiances or ideas. If you grew up in a dark surrounding most of the colors would be dark and bold. If you grew up in a hectic society then it would be bright colors with a lot of action.

One ad I saw was an ipod ad and it conveyed the message properly because it is meant to be bold. It used a strong thick font and about two words which gets its point through just by glancing at it.

ppatel713

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fonts

Post  dslavick on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:40 pm

I think that fonts are art because they meaning of the message isnt only what it says, but what the look of the font is. The artist intend a font to have one style.
A fonts purpose is to help show the deeper meaning of a message creatively
They should be expressive to help further contribute to the message. Your birthplace does influence you, because of the way you were brought up is influenced by your country of origin, so it affects you greatly.
The poster i read was very straight to the point and easy to read as well. I think it conveyed the authors message well due to the font used and it's simplicity

dslavick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zwalczak on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:41 pm

Suspect
It doesn't really matter where you grow up, art is diverse and will always be seen in different views. It does not depending on where you live or what environment you grow up in. So there is no contributing factor there.

zwalczak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Art or just fonts.

Post  tgadek849 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:44 pm

Some people might think that fonts are a form of art but i belive they are just fonts. I think that the purpose of the fonts are to carry the massage that is written. They should be plain and simple like Helvetica, they are easy to read and people wont have to take a second to figure out what some letters since some fonts are pretty fancy and look all weird. I dont think that where you grow up affects the way you view art, everyone has a different in taste. Everyday i sit infront of the Mitsubishi lithograpic presses poster infront of the computer and there is a quatation from the US Constitutions saying "We The People". Those words are written in a font that resemples old writing. If it was your first time reading it, it would probably take you a second or two to figure out what it says.

tgadek849

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  akelso990 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:45 pm

I don't think fonts are art because I think their only purpose is to get a message across. They're ways of writing words. The words express your feelings not the fonts in which they are written.
I think fonts should be expressive because they are cool to look at some times.
I think where you grow up effects the way you look at art because say you grow up in a house where your parents are artists obviously they will show you cool art.
I saw my Iced Earth poster that I had made and it was very easy to read and the font does a really good job of capturing the whole tone of the poster (dark and egyption like).

akelso990

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  akelso990 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:47 pm

tgadek849 wrote:Some people might think that fonts are a form of art but i belive they are just fonts. I think that the purpose of the fonts are to carry the massage that is written. They should be plain and simple like Helvetica, they are easy to read and people wont have to take a second to figure out what some letters since some fonts are pretty fancy and look all weird. I dont think that where you grow up affects the way you view art, everyone has a different in taste. Everyday i sit infront of the Mitsubishi lithograpic presses poster infront of the computer and there is a quatation from the US Constitutions saying "We The People". Those words are written in a font that resemples old writing. If it was your first time reading it, it would probably take you a second or two to figure out what it says.

I agree with everything you said. You are one intelligent man. I also sit in front of that "we the People" poster and it is a bit hard to read. That's why I agree that fonts should be easy to read. I mean you can make them kind of different or cool, but make sure they're readable. When it boils down to it the words are art not the style that they are written in. We have the same view points!

Last edited by akelso990 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

akelso990

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fonts

Post  dbremer818 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:47 pm

I think fonts are almost like art. Sometimes they can make fonts into different kinds of style like in color, bold, and more. Most of the sometime, fonts don't really good on little posters like in school. Fonts can almost be made(type) by metal too. Especially, you they can be in like a 3D design if you look closely at it. I say fonts(typeface) is art because you can do them in any color that you want. Fonts are usually divided into two categories such as serif and san serif. Fonts should be expressive because they can be in any design or in any way you wanted. Yes, the effect of the fonts is where I want to grow up because I view my art by being creative and I work hard. Yes, because the Fonts that was used on the words were perfectly big enough to see. I agree on creatimng a post because it is fun. I would say yes because I would like to be creative with my poster that I made. Also, I would like to do it because when I grow up, I want to become an artist.

dbremer818

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  osorisho617 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:47 pm

Are fonts or is typeface art?

What is the perpose of fonts?

Should fonts be expressive or should they be plain and let the meaning of the words be expressive?

1.Fonts
2-3.The purpose of fonts is to express what you are trying to write.
4.no Mad

osorisho617

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  akelso990 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:51 pm

zwalczak wrote:Suspect
It doesn't really matter where you grow up, art is diverse and will always be seen in different views. It does not depending on where you live or what environment you grow up in. So there is no contributing factor there.

I agree with this also. No matter where you grow up, you're always going to have your own opinions about art. I think on the other hand though that who you grow up with can have an effect on your opinions. Like say your parents are artists, then I think that their opinions will help form yours. So I guess it really all depends.

akelso990

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tgadek849 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:52 pm

akelso990 wrote:I don't think fonts are art because I think their only purpose is to get a message across. They're ways of writing words. The words express your feelings not the fonts in which they are written.
I think where you grow up effects the way you look at art because say you grow up in a house where your parents are artists obviously they will show you cool art.
I saw my Iced Earth poster that I had made and it was very easy to read and the font does a really good job of capturing the whole tone of the poster (dark and egyption like).

I agree. Fonts should be just simple, it's not the font that carries the message, it's the words.

tgadek849

View user profile

Back to top Go down

response

Post  nwojtaszek on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:00 am

Some people might think that fonts are art but i dont. I think that fonts are just there to say what needs to be said.
Fonts all the the basic structure just with different styles. I dont think that where people grow up makes a difference becuase
it depends on the person. I thnk that people express what they have to say by the words they use not the font.

nwojtaszek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nwojtaszek on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:02 am

zwalczak wrote:Suspect

i agree with this.

nwojtaszek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

fonts and typeface

Post  esimmons on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:04 am

Are fonts or is typeface art? I think fonts are art because when you create fonts you are creating something using paints and colors. The only difference is that its on the computer.

What is the perpose of fonts? They are computer versions of different types of art.

Should fonts be expressive or should they be plain and let the meaning of the words be expressive? Fonts should be expressive because fonts are a good way expressing how a person feels about something and tell whats going on through a person's mind.

Does where you grow up effect how you view art? Yes because if a person had a bad childhood then some of the things they create are going to be dark and sad. If a person had a good childhood then their fonts are going to be more positive and more bright about they are creating.

Describe one poster or ad that you have seen within the past week. Was it easy to read or difficult to read? Did it convay the artists message properly? Why or why not? I just seen a poster that was advertising cell phones. It was easy to understand what it was trying to convey because there is a phone and it talks about what is has to offer. It doesnt have any extra words or anythihg else.

esimmons

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nwojtaszek on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:06 am

elodewyck972 wrote:I think that typefaces can definitely be used for artistic reasons. However, I do not feel that that should be be the main purpose of them. I feel that the main purpose of fonts is to get a message across to the reader, not to show off artistic abilities. They should be legible and to the point. The letters/symbols should be expressed in themselves, not in the style that they are portrayed. They should be made to get a point across. In terms of our backgrounds, I think that your surroundings might have an effect on how a person manages their typeface. You might get a different view of what art looks like. An ad that I have seen in the past week would be one advertising "Red Robin." I was very impressed with how clear it was to read and how simple it was to understand. The point of the ad was to advertise hamburgers and I feel that the the person/people who made the ad did a very good job of getting their point across. It was also very easy to read because of the TYPEFACE that it was using. It was very clear and legible.

i agree that the main purpose of fonts is to just express the point of the message.

nwojtaszek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

no

Post  tmurphy494 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:09 am

okay just no, get a life, seriously

tmurphy494

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zwalczak on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:12 am

tgadek849 wrote:
akelso990 wrote:I don't think fonts are art because I think their only purpose is to get a message across. They're ways of writing words. The words express your feelings not the fonts in which they are written.

I agree. Fonts should be just simple, it's not the font that carries the message, it's the words.
Wow. Tommy that was so beautiful. But I agree, its not really the way the words look, just the message it is trying to convey.

zwalczak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum